CRAFT is a cognitive behavior model for dealing with alcoholism and drug use that aims to achieve abstinence by eliminating the positive benefits of substance abuse and increasing the positive benefits of sobriety. CRAFT has several parts and is designed to build up motivation to quit using:
- Helping the addict initiate sobriety.
- Analyzing the addict’s using patterns.
- Increasing positive benefits through reinforcement.
- Learning new coping behaviors.
- Involving significant others in the recovery process by teaching them skills.